8 pieces chicken
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
2½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons seasoned salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1.In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs, hot sauce and Worcestershire and set aside.
2. Next add flour, cornstarch, seasoned salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to a paper bag and shake to mix well.
3. Dip each piece of chicken into egg wash coating both sides then dip into seasoned flour thoroughly coating each piece. Then add piece to baking sheet to rest.
4. Finish coating all chicken and let sit for 10-15 minutes until coating has set.
5. While coating sets, add 1-1/2 inches of oil to a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom skillet and heat over medium high heat. Also turn on oven to 275 degrees.
6. This is my test for knowing when the oil is ready: Big Mama always tossed a tiny bit of flour in the oil and if it began to fry and sizzle, the oil was ready.
7. Fry four pieces at a time on each side starting with dark meat since it takes longer. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan. After each side has turned slightly golden, put the top on the skillet to steam the inside of the chicken ensuring doneness. After a couple of minutes, remove the top and continue to fry until the crust is crispy again and completely golden brown.
8. Remove chicken from oil and place on paper towels or rack to drain. Place chicken on a baking sheet covered with parchment and add to warmed oven while finishing the other chicken pieces.
9. Fry the remaining chicken pieces and drain and add to oven. Add the remaining chicken to the oven.
10. Serve chicken when ready.