2 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on.
1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
2 cups organic crushed tomatoes
1 TBSP fresh ginger root, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ large white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 TBSP + 2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp kosher salt (less for finer grain)
¼ tsp red chili flakes
1 TBSP coconut palm sugar
2 TBSP butter or ghee
Optional: cilantro for garnish
1. Prep and clean the chicken thighs (remove excess fat and skin), place in a bowl and coat in 1 tablespoon of garam masala.
2. Heat a pan to medium-high and melt a couple tablespoons of coconut oil.
3. Sear the chicken thighs, starting with the skin-side down. We just need a quick sear on both sides, then place in the slow cooker.
4. Thinly slice half an onion and lay on top of the chicken thighs.
5. In a sauce pan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee with the minced ginger root and garlic on medium heat.
6. When the garlic and ginger sizzles, add the coconut milk and crushed tomatoes.
7. The spices go next — 2 teaspoons of garam masala, the coriander, cumin, salt, red chili flakes and coconut palm sugar.
8. Simmer for just a few minutes, until the spices are well mixed and the sauce starts bubble.
9. Pour the sauce over the onions and chicken thighs already waiting in the slow cooker.
10. Cover and set the slow cooker to low.Cook for 3 to 4 hours.